Before I go on with this post, I want to make it clear that I am not claiming that essential oils can cure diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, your body does not produce insulin. Type 2 diabetes sufferers have the inability to use insulin properly. This post is about stabilizing insulin levels and using it properly, so it is relevant to type 2 diabetes. We have talked about the importance of proper insulin levels in the body, but how can we encourage stable blood glucose level naturally? This is what we will be talking about here.
Before talking about essential oils that might help, it is important to remind you that exercise and diet are the two most critical factors. Exercising each day is the very most important thing you can do. Avoiding sugar and lowering your carb intake is also an extremely effective approach. Now back to essential oils. Keep in mind that, although debated, internal use seems to be the most effective. I say it is debated because some worry about internal use safety. I believe it is safe and I will post on that in the future, but you can also apply the oil to the sole of your feet, behind your ears and on your temples.
Essential Oils for Diabetes
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon in powder form has been vastly researched for lowering glucose levels. Cinnamon in essential oil form has also been studied as an effective pancreatic support.
- Essential oil blends: Synergy is often key when it comes to nutrients. For example, you might have heard about how we need vitamin C to absorb iron and magnesium to absorb calcium. Similarly, herbs and essential oils can work together to increase their potency and effectiveness. For example, black pepper (with is compound piperine) increases the bio-availability of turmeric. In this study, a combination of various combinations of essential oils such as fenugreek, cinnamon, cumin and oregano was found to be effective in lowering glucose levels.
- Turmeric and pepper: Turmeric has been used effectively for the treatment of diabetes in Aruyedic medicines and tradition Chinese medicine. I added pepper since we know it helps with bio-availability.
- Coriander has been show to have an effect on insulin release.
- Clove bud
- Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis)
Essential OIl protocol for Diabetes
Start with 8-10 drops of coriander in a veggie capsule every day. Also experiment making your own blends with the oils mentioned above. I would love to hear what results you get. Also, keep in mind that you don’t have to suffer from diabetes to try these. We can all benefit from more stable blood sugar levels. Insulin impacts all the other hormones in your body and ensuring that you don’t have insulin spikes will improve your overall health.